• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

I never understood the fascination with Andy Kaufman

Ladynyahh

The Hasidic Homeboy
Forum Clout
People made this guy out to be a genius but watching stuff he was in years later, I just don't fawkin get it. They made a movie about him too. He wrestled ladies and lipsynced the Mighty Mouse theme song. I'd rather listen to a chip chipperson podcast to be perfectly honest witcha. Do I just not "get" comedy or something?

Jims_Maroon_Pants

Joe's Filipino Supervisor
Forum Clout
People made this guy out to be a genius but watching stuff he was in years later, I just don't fawkin get it. They made a movie about him too. He wrestled ladies and lipsynced the Mighty Mouse theme song. I'd rather listen to a chip chipperson podcast to be perfectly honest witcha. Do I just not "get" comedy or something?
Me too! I liked him in taxi but everything else I just didn't get.

Turk February

Our experiences exceed yours.
Forum Clout
I think it's kind of context sensitive, and makes less sense now that "user generated" content exists. Kaufman is from a time when you were expected to put on a show, you were representing your sponsors on tv, you were a professional entertainer... So the gimmick of going up there and just being a child doing what's fun for you had a bit more shock value to it.

Renaus

Forum Clout
Like Steve Jobs he died of cancer because he was too much of a retard to do a normal treatment. He was trying to cure his cancer with fruits and vegetables.

Duxbury Dave

The Ringleader
Forum Clout
It's hard to conceptualize his kind of humor in today's age. He was meta before meta was a thing. The wrestling stuff also came before a lot of the kayfabe stuff was exposed to the public. A lot of people thought he was actually beating up women for real.

DMAN

SUFFERING FROM DMANIA, PRONE TO DMANIC EPISODES
Forum Clout
If you never laughed at anything Tony Clifton did you're gay.

Queefer Sutherland

Fix me, Josh!
Forum Clout
Got banned from SNL by the audience instead of Lorne. He even dragged David Letterman into it. Had a brawl with Kramer on Fridays, and then faked an apology by claiming to be a born-again Christian. There wasn't anyone taking any risks in the early 80's.

This was comedy in 1981.

Look at how soft Carlin was after dropping his counterculture character and having a heart attack.