• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Have any of you tried doing an open-mic, or considered it?

LockedHDD__Pot

Forum Clout
Sure... I had one bit that consistently worked (there's no way to type it, I've been trying for 5 mins). The people who seemed to do best (albeit with thoughtless drivel) were unpleasantly good looking, I used to intro one guy as 'professional haircut on legs...'. I also realised that if the audience doesn't already like/know you, it's hard to take them on a thoughtful rollercoaster starting with calling someone a cunt.

Punished Dan Mullen

Calamari Ring Leader
Forum Clout
Sure... I had one bit that consistently worked (there's no way to type it, I've been trying for 5 mins). The people who seemed to do best (albeit with thoughtless drivel) were unpleasantly good looking, I used to intro one guy as 'professional haircut on legs...'. I also realised that if the audience doesn't already like/know you, it's hard to take them on a thoughtful rollercoaster starting with calling someone a cunt.
Does it involve mounting a stool?

Ant_It_Fun

Big Time
Forum Clout
I think you should do it, open mic is fun, stand up is fun, watching people bomb is fun

Bombing yourself sucks, but when you get a rhythm and start having more good sets than bad, its a good feeling

You bomb constantly here, and have the convenience to think things through before posting your reply. I can't imagine how awful you are in person, forced to think on-the-spot.

You're an unfunny, dumb cunt is what I'm getting at here.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
The banter you have to do as a lead singer is like a very low grade form of stand up.

Sure, you say "Hello, some bumfuck city!" that you have to write on the back of your guitar because it has three Z's and one is silent (gotta love Europe), and near the end you introduce the band individually (great time filler), but in between you have to acknowledge local drivel and customs with a witty rapport. When I started, up till Stiltskin, I was dreadful at it, but by Genesis I felt much more comfortable and thought I had it nailed.

Until one fan who passed me in Italy during the tour yelled that I wasn't as funny as Phil was the last time.

You can criticize my singing, my baritone, even my range... But my humour? What's so charming about a balding British slaphead who's shorter than Mickey Rooney?

Fucking spaghetti cunt.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
I did my school talent show when I was a Sophomore in high school and was told not to do it again because of a masturbation joke I made about the school UMass (I grew up in the Boston area and kept it local etc.)

I did several open mics from 2008 until about 2014. Bombed quite a few times, but also had a few good sets.

Comedy is dead now. The future episode of South Park nailed it with Jimmy's new comedic style.

NortheastPhilly

Shock Jock
Forum Clout
I did my school talent show when I was a Sophomore in high school and was told not to do it again because of a masturbation joke I made about the school UMass (I grew up in the Boston area and kept it local etc.)

I did several open mics from 2008 until about 2014. Bombed quite a few times, but also had a few good sets.

Comedy is dead now. The future episode of South Park nailed it with Jimmy's new comedic style.
Keepin it local and vocal!

LockedHDD__Pot

Forum Clout
This entire line of thought should be a bannable offense.
50% of me agrees, but 50% of me thinks 'don't be jealous just 'cus we're not all dead inside & without ambition.

Like I say it's 50/50, so we're still cool. And the 'dead inside...' part was probably just projection.