• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Favorite Star Trek series?

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
Forum Clout
Even though the pig claims to be a geek he is way to masculine to be a star trek fan so it only slightly bothers me he might enjoy something I do. All that aside which series do you folks enjoy?

I am currently watching season 4 of TNG. I just finished best of both worlds and even though I have a soft spot for TNG and DS9, I still hold TOS as a favorite.

I refuse to even watch anything after enterprise and only caught a few clips of PICARD.

TOS>DS9>TNG>ENT>voy..

I am interested in any opinions you fine gentlemen / ladies would care to share.

Opesterino

How does that feel?!
Forum Clout
Is it mandatory at all to finish TNG before moving into DS9? Or is it like reasonably separated enough to mostly be its own thing?
I would say it is enough of its own thing to stand alone without the need to watch TNG, though a few characters from TNG are in DS9. I would say the 2 series are in better continuity with each other than the TNG movies are with it's series.

UnPRePared

For the last time, I am NOT Frank Grimes!
Forum Clout
I go FAWKIN deep with original series.

There's a fascinating dichotomy with Kirk, Spock and Bones - one is a leader, the other lives by logic, and the latter is driven by emotion and empathy. Separately they're self-sustaining, but together as a team they do amazing things. A concept like that with layered characters can work well in any genre, but in a moralistic science fiction story, it works in a very entertaining way. I enjoyed it when I discovered the show.

I think TNG tried to duplicate that with Picard, Riker and Data, but it never was pursued properly. Decent show, though, just not as rewatchable.

Everything after that was shit. Utter, utter shit. DS9 had moments though, and I'm a sucker for admitting I liked the recent trilogy just because Pine, Quinto and Urban had a similar chemistry to Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly. But none of them were as good as the cheesy shit of the heyday. It just works, and I'm not really a nerd, even.

Easily_Remembered

"And young. So young."
Forum Clout
My introduction was actually the Animated Series, which by default became my favourite.

Original series runs a close second - it was a magical blend of cheesy low budget action coupled with just the right amounts of philosophy and ethics to make it riveting, even as it went off the rails in the third season.

TNG took a good season and a half to find it's footing - even now, the first two seasons are a bit rough to watch. But it comes into it's own and the characters are fully realized, and it was a full bodied, engaging show, with the perfect final episode. Shame it never spawned a really good movie.

I didn't appreciate DS9 in it's time. It seemed to betray the very ethos of ST to me - ST was "to boldly go where no man has gone before", and DS9 was seemingly all about "to stay where no one has stayed before". So I dismissed it out of hand, and it took me a few years to really appreciate what it was, and what it was doing.

I enjoyed Voyager when it was first released, but it doesn't hold up especially well. It's so tied up in mid-90s PC culture that it's almost bland and devoid of genuine conflict.

Enterprise was good when it was first released , and even better now. Very underrated. Last ST series I ever tried, or will.

I enjoyed ALL TOS movies, with 3 being the weakest, and 6 possibly the strongest.

Generations was shit. First Contact was fun, and a genuinely entertaining movie. Insurrection felt like a episode of TNG that wouldn't end. Nemesis was an erect penis fucking your eye sockets.

The first Abrams Trek movie was fun, and fine. Should have left well enough alone afterwards. Everything thereafter has been shit.

Cptbaldopie

Forum Clout
I go FAWKIN deep with original series.

There's a fascinating dichotomy with Kirk, Spock and Bones - one is a leader, the other lives by logic, and the latter is driven by emotion and empathy. Separately they're self-sustaining, but together as a team they do amazing things. A concept like that with layered characters can work well in any genre, but in a moralistic science fiction story, it works in a very entertaining way. I enjoyed it when I discovered the show.

I think TNG tried to duplicate that with Picard, Riker and Data, but it never was pursued properly. Decent show, though, just not as rewatchable.

Everything after that was shit. Utter, utter shit. DS9 had moments though, and I'm a sucker for admitting I liked the recent trilogy just because Pine, Quinto and Urban had a similar chemistry to Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly. But none of them were as good as the cheesy shit of the heyday. It just works, and I'm not really a nerd, even.
I agree data was spock like. But Riker was the kirk as far as charisma and Picard was the most logical of the crew. I also hate to admit I enjoy the new trilogy also TNG was my favorite.