• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Computer terms I still don't understand

G

What the fuck is an API
What the fuck is a driver
What the fuck is firmware

Yes I work in IT and I update drivers and install firmware and when I've made programs I've used APIs but I still don't know what the fuck they really are.

I'm what they call a "n00b".

Can someone explain it like I'm a Cumia?

@admin, comment?

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Forum Clout
What the fuck is an API
What the fuck is a driver
What the fuck is firmware

Yes I work in IT and I update drivers and install firmware and when I've made programs I've used APIs but I still don't know what the fuck they really are.

I'm what they call a "n00b".

Can someone explain it like I'm a Cumia?

@admin, comment?
First press CTRL + ALT + DEL

HotDogJoe

Professional leech since 1994. Anyone can do it.
Forum Clout
First press CTRL + ALT + DEL

1666863021352-jpeg.73177

Torque’sHeadBump

(Voluntarily) torqued boomer
Forum Clout
For real though I’m getting back into / revisiting programming for some work ideas at the moment. If I remember right, an API is like where you can make get requests for info or some shit. Idk. Have to review because I too am not L337

G

an API is an interface that allows you to use an external program. so let's say I'm programming some little script that will run locally on my computer and I want it to tell me what temperature it is outside. I might choose to use an existing online service to request these details via an API. The API usually requires some amount of input parameters, in this case location, and then it will return data that I will then be able to utilize in my script however I want. Another API I could use to do this script would be to poll a temperature gauge that I might install outside my home that then connects to the Wifi and allows polling via its own API.

Drivers are low level instruction sets that tell your computer's architecture how best to utilize some hardware that your computer has. A common one is graphics drivers and to be overly illustrative I'll use linux as an example. Linux by default uses an open source graphics driver for NVIDIA cards called nouveau. The issue with nouveau is that it's not performant enough for most modern games. If I as an NVIDIA card owner want to play basically anything on a linux install I would have to install the proprietary drivers from NVIDIA themselves. These drivers differ because the NVIDIA drivers are worked on by engineers working closely with the hardware team and have more intimate knowledge of what they can do to boost performance at a low level.

Firmware is like drivers kinda but it's even lower level. They are installed on the hardware itself while drivers are not, drivers require an OS to be installed, firmware is installed and executed before an OS boots. Here's a handy little pic from [URL='https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uefi-secure-boot-in-windows-81/65d74e19-9572-4a91-85aa-57fa783f0759']this Microsoft article [/URL]that might help you visualize it.
8c5b029f-0ad1-499f-a82a-f5e2ffeb98b9.png

G

Also I'd like to point out that APIs do not always require input parameters, often an API's endpoint (the location your program would seek out to make a request of the API) might by definition specify what data you want. So for reference I quickly looked up open APIs, I.E. APIs out there that do not require authentication to request data from. The site I went to has an open endpoint that will list other open endpoints. So if you go to this URL:
[URL unfurl="true"]https://api.publicapis.org/entries[/URL]
you will get a json object returned to you that could then be used by your program to do whatever

I have autism, please be kind.

G

an API is an interface that allows you to use an external program. so let's say I'm programming some little script that will run locally on my computer and I want it to tell me what temperature it is outside. I might choose to use an existing online service to request these details via an API. The API usually requires some amount of input parameters, in this case location, and then it will return data that I will then be able to utilize in my script however I want. Another API I could use to do this script would be to poll a temperature gauge that I might install outside my home that then connects to the Wifi and allows polling via its own API.

Drivers are low level instruction sets that tell your computer's architecture how best to utilize some hardware that your computer has. A common one is graphics drivers and to be overly illustrative I'll use linux as an example. Linux by default uses an open source graphics driver for NVIDIA cards called nouveau. The issue with nouveau is that it's not performant enough for most modern games. If I as an NVIDIA card owner want to play basically anything on a linux install I would have to install the proprietary drivers from NVIDIA themselves. These drivers differ because the NVIDIA drivers are worked on by engineers working closely with the hardware team and have more intimate knowledge of what they can do to boost performance at a low level.

Firmware is like drivers kinda but it's even lower level. They are installed on the hardware itself while drivers are not, drivers require an OS to be installed, firmware is installed and executed before an OS boots. Here's a handy little pic from [URL='https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uefi-secure-boot-in-windows-81/65d74e19-9572-4a91-85aa-57fa783f0759']this Microsoft article [/URL]that might help you visualize it.
View attachment 73194
Thanks for your help and everything but how come when someone tries to explain stuff like this they use confusing words like "interface".

"An API is an interface" nigga what the fuck is an interface.

I'm retarded aren't I. :image_9247:

Edit -- wait I read the whole post and that all makes sense. Great explanation. Thank you!