• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Anyone else think ChatGPT is overrated?

Dougie's Hapa Daughter

Look Daddy! I'm on TV!
Forum Clout
I don't get the hype tbh. I mean it's a pretty cool tool but still over hyped.

I am more impressed by voice ai and deepfakes tbh.
You remember the hype of crypto? VR? The MetaVerse? 3D TVs? Cloud Computing? It's just how tech tries to pump n' dump investor money. Use the "news" as advertising, pay a lot of pajeets/bots on major social media platforms to astroturf hype for it. They want every retard manager, boss, and company CEO to decide "Wow, 9/10 companies are using ChatGPT? We don't want to be the 1/10th!" and stick their investment cock deep into the platform, so that by the time they realize it's not all that it's cracked up to be their in-place systems are reliant on it and they have you by the balls financially.

OpenAI even published a horseshit marketing "scentific paper" that tried to claim ChatGPT has started to achieve AGI, which is the most retarded thing anyone could ever claim. Most leading minds in CS feel AGI is impossible, and I agree with them, at least in a realistic human timeframe.

G

You remember the hype of crypto? VR? The MetaVerse? 3D TVs? Cloud Computing? It's just how tech tries to pump n' dump investor money. Use the "news" as advertising, pay a lot of pajeets/bots on major social media platforms to astroturf hype for it. They want every retard manager, boss, and company CEO to decide "Wow, 9/10 companies are using ChatGPT? We don't want to be the 1/10th!" and stick their investment cock deep into the platform, so that by the time they realize it's not all that it's cracked up to be their in-place systems are reliant on it and they have you by the balls financially.

OpenAI even published a horseshit marketing "scentific paper" that tried to claim ChatGPT has started to achieve AGI, which is the most retarded thing anyone could ever claim. Most leading minds in CS feel AGI is impossible, and I agree with them, at least in a realistic human timeframe.
I blame lex friedman.

G

When I ask it shit I actually know about, it gets it confidently wrong, which is pretty fucked. What other lies did it tell me?
I will expand on this with a recent example.

I was interested in knowing the first reference to the internet in a TV show or movie. It told me the Simpsons episode Marge vs the monorail and gave me a fake quote. I said that was wrong. It apologized and gave me another Simpsons episode with a wrong quote. I kept saying it was wrong, it kept giving me completely fabricated instances. I never got my answer. It'd be okay if it didn't get the very first reference, but it was literally inventing episodes and quotes.

Dougie's Hapa Daughter

Look Daddy! I'm on TV!
Forum Clout
It’s supposed to replace my job (coding) within 10 years, and i can barely get it to shit out a simple function. And it very often gives something that’s not just wrong, it’s actively insecure or harmful. I’m convinced it’s just a really fast typing pajeet behind the screen.
I've heard NDA-locked rumors that their model is being hand-tuned continuously by 10s of thousands of Filipinos on contract to a company that conceals its connection to OpenAI.

G

It's just a glorified Google search. It doesn't come up with any ideas on its own. The idea that it's going to kill jobs is laughably retarded. If AI ever *actually* becomes smart enough to surpass humans, it will immediately kill us all.

It’s supposed to replace my job (coding) within 10 years, and i can barely get it to shit out a simple function. And it very often gives something that’s not just wrong, it’s actively insecure or harmful. I’m convinced it’s just a really fast typing pajeet behind the screen.
People have been saying since the 90s that pajeets/AI are going to replace coders. It's never going to happen. Any actually good pajeets are going to get a visa and move to the US where the salaries are actually good. Aside from shitty Wordpress/php shit, nobody is going to risk outsourcing their extremely important software work to a bunch of 3rd worlders. Ironically if you go to any of these 3rd world countries and you download their food delivery/ridesharing apps, they are all designed and built by Americans. 3rd world companies outsource actually important coding jobs to the first world. How ironic.

Forum Clout
Its not that useful for coding with its current setup because its a one page script and it has to know the fine details of your workflow. But in the future it could be reworked to hold an entire project of code and build upon that. So youd say something like "add a login feature" and multiple pages of the project get updated together.

not that Jack Horner

If you saw me IRL you very likely wouldn't look me
Forum Clout
Its not that useful for coding with its current setup because its a one page script and it has to know the fine details of your workflow. But in the future it could be reworked to hold an entire project of code and build upon that. So youd say something like "add a login feature" and multiple pages of the project get updated together.

but the log in feature ends up being “shows bobs and vagine”

Dougie's Hapa Daughter

Look Daddy! I'm on TV!
Forum Clout
"prompting" style AI sucks for coding in general. AI code autocomplete is way better, I've had good experiences with TabNine. It's good for when you know exactly what you want to do, and just want to greatly expedite the typing and/or syntax doublechecking.

TheNanaDook

Forum Clout
It's just a glorified Google search. It doesn't come up with any ideas on its own. The idea that it's going to kill jobs is laughably retarded. If AI ever *actually* becomes smart enough to surpass humans, it will immediately kill us all.

People have been saying since the 90s that pajeets/AI are going to replace coders. It's never going to happen. Any actually good pajeets are going to get a visa and move to the US where the salaries are actually good. Aside from shitty Wordpress/php shit, nobody is going to risk outsourcing their extremely important software work to a bunch of 3rd worlders. Ironically if you go to any of these 3rd world countries and you download their food delivery/ridesharing apps, they are all designed and built by Americans. 3rd world companies outsource actually important coding jobs to the first world. How ironic.
This is my take as well. I’ve been with a bunch of companies, several have tried to off shore, every one has failed. Hell, I’ve seen contracting fail with contractors inside the US. You can’t really produce decent software and maintain it if you send it off to an uncaring 3rd party

Turk February

Our experiences exceed yours.
Forum Clout
I'm pretty optimistic about AI and am always impressed by it even when it sucks dick, it's an unfinished product, a technology in its infancy, and already it is far more competent in far more tasks than many people in the world. All human thought is synthesis, you can't imagine a thing that is not a conceptual blend of other things you know, so the potential to match and exceed all people in all aspects of humanity, from reason to creativity is there. I think people skeptical about AGI are like chess computer skeptics of the late 80s. "baaah, it doesn't know its playing chess, you just have to use anti-computer chess baaah, it will never beat a human player baaaah"

Bernard Murphy

Jackie Singh has BPD
Forum Clout
The real thing about AI is that it's just going to annoy the fuck out of you in the future. People are always afraid of giving their data away but truthfully it doesn't matter, eventually AI can learn about populations through any data gained. Like evolution, behavior control is about populations, not the individual. So what if it doesn't know your favorite ice cream?

AI is going to be developed to be a snitch and a salesman. It'll snitch on you for wrong think, and then it will make advertisements to make you buy shit. Like Made in America? Like white owners? Whatever it is you prefer in a product and company, it will conform to that to make the sale.

AI will bring us all into the "Demolition Man" dystopia, where every word you say and action you do will be monitored by some neural net system. Every street corner will have a camera, and every car will have a governor so no one can speed and even if they do they'll get tickets instantly. Since we'll need less police the few we do employ will be rapidly militarized. Congratulations, to live free you have to move into the sewers and put up with people like Dennis Leary and Jack Black.

The worst part is that it will still be shitty at conversing with people.

Dougie's Hapa Daughter

Look Daddy! I'm on TV!
Forum Clout
I'm pretty optimistic about AI and am always impressed by it even when it sucks dick, it's an unfinished product, a technology in its infancy, and already it is far more competent in far more tasks than many people in the world. All human thought is synthesis, you can't imagine a thing that is not a conceptual blend of other things you know, so the potential to match and exceed all people in all aspects of humanity, from reason to creativity is there. I think people skeptical about AGI are like chess computer skeptics of the late 80s. "baaah, it doesn't know its playing chess, you just have to use anti-computer chess baaah, it will never beat a human player baaaah"
AGI means Artificial General Intelligence. As in, you don't have to teach or train it, it can train itself. Most people's explanations on how AGI will get achieved given the current state of things is usually reliant on the model already having AGI ("We don't need to understand how it will do it, it will just train itself!").

My skepticism is this: We do not understand even close to 1% of the exact mechanisms by which our neurons and signaling pathways work. We don't even know how many neuronal connections there are in a human brain, it's a rough estimate because it's still beyond our ability to measure. The number of unknowns, guesses, and total bullshit in Neuroscience is so much higher than most people realize.

And yet, without even understanding how the current in-place system of our brains have achieved GI, we're going to manage to make a system which requires exact instructions to replicate it? It's extremely unlikely, especially within our lifetimes.

ChatGPT is owned by Microsoft, and they have kept the mechanisms behind their LLM completely closed source. The people saying "it has started to achieve AGI!!" are OpenAI themselves with no actual proof. It's all marketing hype, because getting people to actually believe it is an incredibly profitable proposition for them financially.

The worst impact chatgpt will have is the ability for people to just cook up walls of text and spam them in every comment section and forum across the internet, tbh.