• Reminder: Do not call, text, or mention harrassing someone in real life. Do not encourage it. Do not talk about killing or using violence against anyone, or engaging in any criminal behavior. If it is not an obvious joke even when taken out of context, don't post it. Please report violators.

DMCA, complaints, and other inquiries:

[email protected]

Anybody here worked in Radio?

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
I did but I wasn't paid for it.

I put together play lists in the early late 2000s for a college radio station in Boston called WERS 88.9 after 10pm when they had a block dedicated different rap and hip-hop genres.

No gangstery rap though. Some were independent artists who would reach out and ask for playtime.

I only remember one time were I felt like any sort of VIP was when I was at a pretty pricey club at the time and someone somehow knew who I was and gave me a CD of his and brought me into his VIP area and chatted with me like I was some sort of music executive lol. I didn't pay for a single drink, did some blow with some Venezuelan chick, and had people shaking my hand.

I ended up playing a few tracks like I told him I would, I don't think anything ever came of it. It all ended in 2010-2011 or so.

gassers

CakeHorn/Say "Cookie"/BonnieMcFarlaneMe2 Alt
Forum Clout
I did but I wasn't paid for it.

I put together play lists in the early late 2000s for a college radio station in Boston called WERS 88.9 after 10pm when they had a block dedicated different rap and hip-hop genres.

No gangstery rap though. Some were independent artists who would reach out and ask for playtime.

I only remember one time were I felt like any sort of VIP was when I was at a pretty pricey club at the time and someone somehow knew who I was and gave me a CD of his and brought me into his VIP area and chatted with me like I was some sort of music executive lol. I didn't pay for a single drink, did some blow with some Venezuelan chick, and had people shaking my hand.

I ended up playing a few tracks like I told him I would, I don't think anything ever came of it. It all ended in 2010-2011 or so.
Don't undersell yourself funster, you coulda have been a music executive, you can still be one.

You have a good ear.

aRTie02150

STEP OFF!
Forum Clout
Don't undersell yourself funster, you coulda have been a music executive, you can still be one.

You have a good ear.
I thought so until I spoke to a local radio personality in Boston who just retired in 2022 after 40 years.

He told me in 2009 that it's a dying industry with all the stations being owned by a couple of companies, this was years before he retired. He told me very honestly because I was considering finding a way to get into radio and I appreciate his looking out for me because he wasn't wrong. He explained to me that what I was doing for WERS was a passion project, and those don't exist in big radio markets, which is where the only money in radio is.

This was Matt Siegel from Kiss 108 if any of you fellas are from Boston and wondering who I'm talking about.

gassers

CakeHorn/Say "Cookie"/BonnieMcFarlaneMe2 Alt
Forum Clout
I thought so until I spoke to a local radio personality in Boston who just retired in 2022 after 40 years.

He told me in 2009 that it's a dying industry with all the stations being owned by a couple of companies, this was years before he retired. He told me very honestly because I was considering finding a way to get into radio and I appreciate his looking out for me because he wasn't wrong. He explained to me that what I was doing for WERS was a passion project, and those don't exist in big radio markets, which is where the only money in radio is.

This was Matt Siegel from Kiss 108 if any of you fellas are from Boston and wondering who I'm talking about.
I think there is real value in curation, especially in the age of internet where so much shit is floating around. Idk why corporations are keen on laying off so many people just to cut costs at the expense of providing shit service/product.

Forum Clout
No, but in the 1990s, I knew this girl who tended bar at a place around here, and she was Howard Stern's personal assistant for a while, specifically during the period when he wrote and released his first book. She wouldn't talk about him at all, except to say he was "really nice". He mentioned her on the air a few times, and he thanked her in his first book. She was on the air once, actor John Amos was on the show and she got into an altercation with him in an elevator.